March 26, 2009

Jacking the Ball

I saw a Citibank commercial using the song “Jacking the Ball” by The Sea and Cake and was all set to embed the video and write an angry diatribe about how selling out is now meaningless. But instead found this nice performance from 1993.



The Flaming Lips also seem to sell out left and right, being featured in an ad for salad dressing among others. Instead, here’s a nice B-side from “At War with the Mystics,” with the refrain, “There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

2 comments:

DH said...

Citibank? Really? I don't know why...after hearing the Buzzcocks and Nick Drake in car commercials--and Devo's "Uncontrollable Urge" in another radio spot for a car dealership (I think)...I don't know why I am still shocked. But maybe Sam Prekop needs to put his kids through private school or something. Maybe I should cut him some slack...

Henry Baum said...

Yeah, I feel less annoyed by Prekop than the Flaming Lips. Who knows where his money's at, and right now times are tight, but the Flaming Lips are selling out shows every night, they probably don't need the money.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 / An SEO Wordsmith Production

Back to TOP