May 18, 2005

Submit

I’ve submitted the new story to: Land Grant, McSweeney’s, Identitytheory, Watchword, Paris Review, Zyzzyva, Open City, & Word Riot.

A few others on the horizon. Recently, someone from the Land Grant College Review wrote to me and asked if I would like a complimentary copy of their next issue. She found me through this blog. Very cool, the first 3-dimensional object I’ll have received through blogging. Currently, my paypal account resides at zero.

The story had gotten to the point where I didn’t know if it was any good anymore and I was tired of working on it. I want to work on something else. I could sit on the story for a couple months or send it out. I’m more curious to see what sort of response it gets. Maybe I shouldn’t say this, I don’t know. I had put the story on the shelf because it was too much like a bad Raymond Carver story--I had been reading a lot of Raymond Carver at the time. It’s been a while since that fixation and I’ve forgotten exactly what I was ripping off so I hope it’s become my own thing. Very spare so I don’t know what people will make of it. If I don’t get it published, maybe I’ll just make a separate blog out of it.

Last Sunday, I met my first blogger: Martha O’Connor who was having a reading at the local Barnes and Noble to promote her novel, The Bitch Posse. I’d already seen her author photo so I knew what she looked like. But it was the first time someone saw me. One of these days I’ll put up a picture but I’m camera-phobic so pictures of me are rare. I was sort of nervous going to the reading but it was a nice time. She’s a pro--telling her story, reading from the book, answering questions. I got a signed copy but I haven’t started it yet because my wife stole it from me.

In other news, my daughter went to the bathroom on the potty for the first time on Monday. I am almost free of changing diapers.

5 comments:

Charlie said...

The skilled Googler can find your picture on-line, Henry. I'm a skilled Googler. Muhahahahaha.

So far as I know, my picture is nowhere on the internet. There is an Australian bodyboarder with my name, though, and you may be able to find him.

(I am referring, of course, to the name I use in real life. There are lots of pictures of the "real" Spiral Stairs on several of the internets.)

Henry Baum said...

Man, I hate that picture. I met my U.K. editor at a bar in New York and the picture was taken without me knowing it. An unguarded moment while I was smiling. I look about sixteen. Not the best representative for a hard-boiled novel. I had some better author photos taken but the publisher lost them.

Charlie said...

There's another picture of you out there. Google Images will show the way...

Henry Baum said...

Yikes, that one's even worse. That's my photo for work. Every time I get my picture taken I close my eyes. We had to go outside so I wouldn't be blinded by the flash. It was early morning, I look like a derelict.

Henry Baum said...

My wife took some pictures of me last night so I could put up a decent picture. My eyes were closed in almost every one or something else was wrong. I really hate getting my picture taken. I have to get over that.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 / An SEO Wordsmith Production

Back to TOP