August 15, 2005

Over the Place

Listening to Monk plays Ellington.

Started work on my novel again. I took a week off because I needed to put some space between drafts. I keep thinking that I’m close but there’s still a lot of red ink on some pages. I’m glad I at least have the energy to still work on it. It’s not like I have a deadline for the book but I’d like to get it done.

The New York Mets had another soul-crushing loss yesterday. I don’t write often about my obsession with the Mets. I mainly follow the Mets as a way to channel my boredom. Pedro Martinez took a no-hitter into the 8th and then lost the game on a triple and a home run. It came a few days after Carlos Beltran and Mike Cameron collided. Pedro’s no-hitter could have been the thing to salve Met fans and the team but it ended crushingly. After games like that I wonder what’s the point of following baseball if it makes me feel so bad.

I can get depressed about anything. I always find the New York Times Book review depressing. A cover story about Brett Easton Ellis. William Vollman on Neitzsche. I suppose that should make me feel uplifted but it makes me feel like I live alone on an island. I am interested in the new BE Ellis novel.

Another mainstream obsession: I love the show "Law and Order." When my wife and I were courting each other we used to watch a lot of "Star Trek: Next Generation" reruns. I think it came on at 11 p.m. and 3 a.m. in NYC. Now we’re freaks about "Law and Order" of all kinds--except "Trial by Jury" and I think "Criminal Intent" can be too implausible. At some point, I’m going to think that watching a show about people being raped or murdered is kind of sick and wrong, but right now I’m digging it.

"Obsession" used to be my favorite movie. A Brian De Palma remake of "Vertigo." I had a crush on Genevieve Bujould. I haven’t seen it in a while. I think I’ll get it from Netflix. I’m a Netflix member now. "Napoleon Dynamite" is a dumb bad dull movie. For the same people who liked "Clerks," an independent movie for jocks. I don’t get it. And it has nothing to do with Elvis Costello. I liked the show "Freaks and Geeks" a whole lot better.

It’s true, I watch TV.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Law n Order, huh?
That's your show?
Did anyone turn you on to it or were you personally drawn to it? Just curious.

Henry Baum said...

It's always been the only show I watch somewhat regularly. Don't know when I saw it first. I’ve seen a lot of foxy assistant DAs go by. I'm in the middle of writing this crime-based novel which might be why I'm watching it now.

Henry Baum said...

Oh yeah, and the Simpsons, but I’m kind of sick of the Simpsons. I don’t have cable so I’ve never seen The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, etc.

Charlie said...

Freaks and Geeks was way too good to stay on TV. Which is why it didn't.

We do have HBO, and I have gotten so into Six Feet Under that the impending last episode (this Sunday) is a major, major bummer.

I get into the Sopranos too, but the hiati are so long that I practically forget what it is like to watch the show.

I was a religious Simpsons watcher for years, but lost my enthusiasm within the last 4 or 5 years. I still love the old reruns, but make no effort to watch newer episodes.

Henry Baum said...

Except they would have to tone down the nudity, and then it just wouldn't be the same. How bout that time we sat in my apartment for hours doing nothing? Crazy. Man, we've lived.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 / An SEO Wordsmith Production

Back to TOP