September 27, 2005

Whore

the stuff

We’ve been watching horror movies lately, via Netflix. I loved the movie "The Stuff" when I was a kid and I wanted to see it again. It kinda rules. A product of mysterious white, marshmallow-like stuff starts brainwashing people. Excellent 80s-style commercials throughout: "Can’t get enough of The Stuff!"

After that we continued our Larry Cohen festival and got "It’s Alive." Kind of slow and plodding but also hypnotic. Great low-budget art. Bernard Herrmann’s score is incredible. Imagine the score for "Taxi Driver" if "Taxi Driver" was about killer babies.

The movie that scared the shit out of me when I was a kid was "The Changeling."

changeling

I think I had nightmares for more than a year. It’s about a boy who’s drowned by his father in the attic bathtub and then starts haunting a house. When I saw it, I was the same age as the boy. There’s a scene where the boy shows up in a pool of water underneath the floorboards of a woman’s house. I thought that the boy might be living under the hardwood floors of our living room. I cried horribly and had to sleep in my parents' room. I don’t know why I saw the movie--caught it on cable, I think. A mistake. We rented it recently. A pretty good horror movie, but it creeped me out in that visceral way that made me feel eight years old again.

I am nerd. I have been interested in the 3 new alien TV shows. I watched the premiere of "Threshold" and liked it. I mean, it’s got Data and the midget (?) from "The Station Agent." Anything about aliens and the end of the world speaks to me. I was excited and then caught another episode which wasn’t so good. It seems like something that needs to be a mini-series, it needs to be resolved. I caught some of "Surface" which seems like a monster movie. I haven’t seen "Invasion" and I don’t think I’m going to--that’s "Law and Order" time.

3 comments:

exley said...

Saw "The Changeling" in the theaters. It was so long ago that I recall there was a Bugs Bunny short before the flick. Scene that scared me the most was when George C. Scott returns home after throwing the ball in the river, and it comes bouncing down the stairs.

M. Fresh said...

Ever seen "The Thing That Wouldn't Die"? About an evil dead guy forever searching for his head - severed and buried far away from his body so many ages ago? Now that was a cinematic masterpiece.

gaijin said...

i've been on a korean movie kick lately, and i highly recommend "old boy".

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 / An SEO Wordsmith Production

Back to TOP