September 18, 2006

Literate

Had a nicely literate weekend. On Saturday, I took my daughter to the library. Read her some books, got her some books. They were having a book sale on the second floor, everything 50% off. I hadn’t been to any kind of used book store for a long time. I’ve been getting my books from the library, my dad’s library, or used off Amazon. I got a nice copy of Swann’s Way, Remember to Remember by Henry Miller, The Forge of God, by Greg Bear (for 10 cents), some others.

I used to live at used bookstore in NY. East Village Books, don’t know if its still there. The Strand. That one by the Angelica. Nice to go to a used bookstore again, especially in an unliterate place like L.A. I've written half a story about a guy who buys a book at a used bookstore, finds an address of the previous owner written inside, goes to find her, turns out she’s a psychic. Then I don’t know what. I should finish it. The woman’s based on a freaky lady who lived in my apt. building in NY.

On Sunday, we all went to the West Hollywood Book Fair. Much better than I was anticipating. Tents upon tents set up—L.A. based lit presses and bookstores, authors hocking stuff, panel discussions, sort of hyper-serious but still interesting. Talked to Allan MacDonell, the Prisoner of X. Saw Mark Danielewski talk about historical fiction. Missed Whitley Strieber talk about vampires. The face-lifted nightmare from America’s Top Model. Insanely energetic kids’ singers and dancers. Liv loved it all. Got a free copy of Richard Grayson put out by Red Hen Press. A very nice time. Some people read and write books here.

My story, “Camera Shy,” is going to be in an anthology put out by Another Sky.org. Very happy to finally have a home for the story. I like the way they do things. Free for download, pay what you can for the printed version. They put out a great book that I read a few months ago and should have written about earlier.

click cover

Mind-opening like reading a book about the new physics. It’s harder to do with fiction and Young pulls it off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 / An SEO Wordsmith Production

Back to TOP