November 30, 2005

Pinchbeck

ufopics

Just found a great post/article by Daniel Pinchbeck, the author of Breaking Open the Head (on the sidebar under Writers). You could discount everything he’s saying as hallucination, which is partly his point--the almost fearful instinct to immediately scoff at the types of things he’s talking about. It’s more interesting, and more fun, to investigate their possible truth. I mean, hell, what if UFOs are real, what if a change in consciousness is actually possible? This should be enough for people to entertain the thought.

Atheism is a form of retardation. There is no God. Really, how do you know? If you can tell me what’s happening on the other side of the galaxy, in the 8th dimension, on a molecular level, than maybe you can make an informed decision about God. The reason I got interested in UFOs, the possible scientific proof of God as seen in Quantum Physics and the like is that, oddly, there’s nothing more underground than a belief in God. I’ve written it in the past, but I haven’t thought about these issues for some time--the Daily Kos crowd, the left, scoff at spiritual issues as if God and Religion are the same thing. This is as conservative and blind as an unwavering belief in Pat Robertson’s Christianity.

I’m deeply looking forward to Pinchbeck’s new book. My hope (and belief) has been that it will rekindle some of my desire to write my weird, epic speculative fiction novel (The American Book of the Dead). Think Robert Anton Wilson’s Illuminatus meets Philip K. Dick’s Valis meets North of Sunset. I’ve stopped working on it for practical reasons--it makes more sense for me to work on shorter pieces--both professionally and it will make me a better writer. I was, at one point, obsessed with many of the things Pinchbeck writes about here and he will likely write about in his new book. I’ve pre-ordered it. My interest in these ideas isn’t gone, just on hold. Reading Breaking Open the Head was a mind-altering experience. I hope it continues.

Weirdly, a former Canadian Defense minister came out requesting open discussions about the alien question. He really does sound like a loon, because I don’t think war with ET’s makes sense, any more than it makes sense that we’re at "war" with ants, but then what do I know. Mac Tonnies, as usual, puts it best.

(most of these links came from The Toilet Paper, a magazine started up in part by my main man and benefactor at Soft Skull, Don Goede.)

3 comments:

Henry Baum said...

I feel sort of bad about the retardation remark. People are entitled to their beliefs. It's just that people get so self-righteous about atheism. As if this post isn't self-righteous. For some reason, I'm tempted to delete it.

I just got a search for "Brent Baum producer." This person actually exists. Our alien hybrid is alive and producing movies.

Anonymous said...

Don't delete it.

On the subject of God remaining incognito so as to preserve faith, among many other things, Martin Gardner's The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener is a very good, very enjoyable read. I got it on half.com for a buck fifty.

Anonymous said...

I don't really understand why believing God doesn't exist is any more or less reasonable than believing God does exist. Never met or heard of anyone who could prove either.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 / An SEO Wordsmith Production

Back to TOP